Are you a skilled and experienced organic farmer with people skills to match? We’re looking for a passionate Permaculturalist to manage (24hrs/week) our diverse gardens and the staff & volunteers who tend them.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms; a certified Organic Permaculture site on 6 acres, established kitchen and market gardens as well as orchards and wood lot, plus Brisbane’s only certified Organic Markets. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
The Farming Team Manager should have a proven strong background in practical Permaculture and organic fruit and vegetable farming in the sub tropics, preferably having previously managed a team of people to develop a market garden or orchards. They should have demonstrable experience in both managing day-to-day farm operations as well as driving medium-term strategic and commercial directions.
About the Role
- Manage and maintain all gardens, orchards and bush revegetation areas using Permaculture principles and practices
- Manage staff and volunteers within the Farming Team
- Plan, schedule and manage food production at the Farm.
- Contribute technical expertise and support other teams as needed
- Develop the Farm to enhance its reputation as a resilient community asset
- Work 24 hrs/week (which must include Tuesdays) on a minimum of 4 days a week. Periodic weekend work is required. Timing of working hours can be flexible according to season and farm requirements.
- Manage all farm zones according to Permaculture and Organic principles
- Develop, implement and record schedules for seasonal planting, maintaining, harvesting, storing, preserving and selling of food and other Farm crops.
- Manage the integration of food production and provisioning activities to meet the requirements of the kitchen for community lunches.
- Manage staff and volunteers in the Farming Team.
- Coordinate management of the animals and of the green waste and composting systems
- Work with the Site Manager to maintain farming infrastructure, tools and the workshop
- Work with the Nursery to save seed and propagate for planting.
- Work with the Education Coordinator to provide living demonstrations of permaculture principles and practices.
- Coordinate, manage and develop farming enterprises, including the NSCF Market stall and the allotments
- Maintain organic certification of the farm, including maintaining current organic management plan and farm operating procedures
- Organise and facilitate Farming Team meetings
- Participate in fortnightly Team Reps meetings
- Report monthly to the Management Committee
- Prepare and manage budgets and be accountable for any team related cash handling systems
- Contribute to the development, enactment and review of key policy documents to guide activities on the Farm
[button_link url=”http://www.nscf.org.au/were-hiring-farming-team-manager/” target=”blank” style=”blue” title=”” class=”” id=”” onclick=””]Visit Northey Street City Farm website[/button_link]
Applications are due close of business Tuesday 27 January 2015.
Sign up to the PA eNews
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Permaculture Australia and our members.