Are you a skilled and experienced organic farmer with people skills to match? We’re looking for a passionate Permaculturalist to manage (24hrs/week) our diverse gardens and the staff & volunteers who tend them.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms; a certified Organic Permaculture site on 6 acres, established kitchen and market gardens as well as orchards and wood lot, plus Brisbane’s only certified Organic Markets. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
The Farming Team Manager should have a proven strong background in practical Permaculture and organic fruit and vegetable farming in the sub tropics, preferably having previously managed a team of people to develop a market garden or orchards. They should have demonstrable experience in both managing day-to-day farm operations as well as driving medium-term strategic and commercial directions.
About the Role
- Manage and maintain all gardens, orchards and bush revegetation areas using Permaculture principles and practices
- Manage staff and volunteers within the Farming Team
- Plan, schedule and manage food production at the Farm.
- Contribute technical expertise and support other teams as needed
- Develop the Farm to enhance its reputation as a resilient community asset
- Work 24 hrs/week (which must include Tuesdays) on a minimum of 4 days a week. Periodic weekend work is required. Timing of working hours can be flexible according to season and farm requirements.
- Manage all farm zones according to Permaculture and Organic principles
- Develop, implement and record schedules for seasonal planting, maintaining, harvesting, storing, preserving and selling of food and other Farm crops.
- Manage the integration of food production and provisioning activities to meet the requirements of the kitchen for community lunches.
- Manage staff and volunteers in the Farming Team.
- Coordinate management of the animals and of the green waste and composting systems
- Work with the Site Manager to maintain farming infrastructure, tools and the workshop
- Work with the Nursery to save seed and propagate for planting.
- Work with the Education Coordinator to provide living demonstrations of permaculture principles and practices.
- Coordinate, manage and develop farming enterprises, including the NSCF Market stall and the allotments
- Maintain organic certification of the farm, including maintaining current organic management plan and farm operating procedures
- Organise and facilitate Farming Team meetings
- Participate in fortnightly Team Reps meetings
- Report monthly to the Management Committee
- Prepare and manage budgets and be accountable for any team related cash handling systems
- Contribute to the development, enactment and review of key policy documents to guide activities on the Farm
Visit Northey Street City Farm website